Friday, February 10, 2012

we would like to nominate ...

We have a very serious matter to attend to so please read carefully.  This is not a joke or a time to fool around.  Okay, maybe a time to fool around, but only if you're testing the proposed nomination.

You may or may not know that Rochester, NY harbors the National Toy Hall of Fame.  Our mid-size metropolis is nationally renowned for such icons such as Kodak, Xerox, Genesee Brewing Company, Bausch & Lomb ... garbage plates ... but really, you must admit none of those comes close to the coolness factor of the Toy Hall of Fame.

The Toy Hall of Fame was established in 1998 and new toys are nominated each year to join the lineup.  Visit here to see a list of past inductees.  Especially check out the 2005 inductees.  They may have been a little short on ideas that year.

To the point, I'm suggesting a nomination that you all need to submit because I say so.  (I'm allowed to use that threat now - I'm a mom.)  My nomination is ... drum roll, please ... the PILLOW FORT!

Do I hear crickets?

Okay, so you may be thinking, Is this chick new?  There are WAY cooler toys out there than a pillow fort.

To all you party poopers, do you happen to know what toys were inducted last year?  No?

Dollhouse, Hot Wheels, and blanket.

Blanket.

I get the first two - dollhouses and Hot Wheels are what childhood is made of, but blanket?  At best, blanket is a cape.  Or a magic carpet that takes flight as you send your little brother sailing across a slippery floor (ahem, Heidi).  Its only saving grace is that it can transform a pillow fort into a pillow fort with a roof - I'll give it that - but if the blanket can make it into the Toy Hall of Fame, the pillow fort is a lock.

Here are the selection criteria for nominees:

  • Icon-status: The toy is widely recognized, respected, and remembered (who wouldn't recognize a pillow fort?)
  • Longevity: The toy is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over multiple generations (we're going two generations and three decades strong in this house)
  • Discovery: The toy fosters learning, creativity, or discovery through play (even the most boring people can find fun in a pillow fort!)
  • Innovation: The toy profoundly changed play or toy design. A toy may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.  (admit it, your first fort was a pillow fort)

So ... click here to submit your nomination for the pillow fort!  Alright, alright - or for whatever toy you want to nominate, even though it will never beat the pillow fort.  I know this because I have a secret weapon to back up my nomination.

Photo documentation. 


Disclaimer:  To those of you who may read this and think I wrote this entire post just so I could show everyone a photo of Brandon playing in a pillow fort, shame on you.  I would never do that.  I am all business.  Don't you know me at all?

0 comments:

Post a Comment